Late post, but here are your 5 things we learned from week 10.
1. The Panthers defense is legit. Lead by middle linebacker Luke Kuechly, the Panthers went into San Francisco to defeat the 49ers 10-9. In a all out defensive battle, the Panthers was the last team standing. This looks like a scary team come playoff time. They have another challenge this Monday night when they take on the New England Patriots.
2. Nick Foles leads the Eagles into Lambeau Field to face the Aaron Rodgers less Packers. I have to say this team looks better with Foles at quarterback over Michael Vick as they defeated the Packers 27-13. Foles went 12-18 for 228 with three touchdowns. Foles has now thrown for 10 touchdowns the past two games with no interceptions. Lets see if Foles keeps up his hot streak this weekend against the Washington Redskins.
3. Whoever had the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Jacksonville Jaguars winning in the same week should try their look with the lottery this week. Both teams got their first wins of the season. They’re both now 1-8 on the season, and are in great shape to receive a top 5 pick in the 2014 NFL draft. It’s been a tough year for all professional football teams in the state of Florida.
4. The Arizona Cardinals are looking like playoff contenders. They defeated the Houston Texans 27-24 to move to 5-4 on the season. I’m a believer in their defense, but I need to see more from their offense. They will look to move to 6-4 this weekend when they take on the one game winning streak Jaguars.
5. I’m not sure if the Saints the best team in the NFL, but I do know they have the best offense in the NFL (besides the Broncos). They embarrassed the Dallas Cowboys by defeating them 49-17. I’m definitely looking forward to them taking on the Seattle Seahawks in a couple of weeks.
Another week of the NFL have come and gone. Here are the 5 Things We Learned From This week.
1. Geno Smith, and the New York Jets are way too inconsistent to be taken serious. After defeating the Patriots in week 7, and Geno Smith probably having his best game of his young NFL career. Geno and the Jets followed that up, with their worst game of the year by getting embarrassed by the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday 49-9. Geno was awful going 20-30 for 159yds, 2 interceptions, and a QBR of 4.1. If they continue their up and down roller coaster like season, they should upset the Saints at home this Sunday.
2. Remember when the Eagles hired Chip Kelly this off-season and everyone had high expectations for their offense? Now eight games into the season Vick can’t stay healthy, leaving Sundays game after re-aggravating his hamstring. The backup to Vick is Nick Foles, who was also out with a concussion. So the Eagles turned to rookie quarterback Matt Barkley to step in. And it turns out that the Eagles offense isn’t who we thought they were. Eagles gained a total of 200 yards on offense Sunday while losing to the Giants 15-7. Those 7points were scored on special teams. Eagles are 3-5 on the season, and haven’t won at home all year. The Giants have won two games in a row and are now 2-6 heading to their bye week.
3. When Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos spot you a 21-7 lead you’re suppose to take advantage of that. And the Washington Redskins didn’t, as the Broncos scored 38pts unanswered on Sunday to defeat the Redskins 45-21. Peyton started off slow turning the ball over 4xs, but bounced back to to throw for 354 yards and four touchdowns. Broncos have a bye this week, but face the undefeated Chiefs in week 10.
4. Don’t look now, but the Green Bay Packers finally have a consistent running game with rookie sensation Eddie Lacy. The Packers defeated the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday 44-31. Eddie Lacy carried the ball 29 times for 94 yards and a td. While Green Bays other running back James Starks chipped in with 7 carries for 57 yards and a td. The Packers now host the Bears this Monday night at home. The Bears need to be prepared for the Packers new two headed monster.
5. Calvin Johnson maybe the greatest wide receiver that has ever walked this planet. I always thought that Jerry Rice was the greatest WR I’d see in my lifetime, but now I’m second guessing myself. As Calvin Johnson torched the Cowboys DBs for 329 receiving yards and 1 touchdown. The catches he made were unbelievable as well as his stat line. Calvin came up eight yards short of being the first receiver in NFL history with the most receiving yards in a game. Matthew Stafford lead the Lions down the field in epic fashion as he lunged over the Cowboys defense at the 1 yard line with 12 seconds left to defeat the Cowboys 31-30. This was easily the best Football game of the entire season so far.
We learned that Colin Kaepernick is the real deal. I know people were curious about how Colin would do in his first full season in the NFL as a starter and I’m sure he answered those questions leading the 49ers to a 34-28 win over the Green Bay Packers. And for those of you that said Kaepernick is a run first QB he silenced you critics too. He ran 7 times for 22yards, but he threw for 412yards on 27/39 throwing attempts with 3 tds and no INTS. Look for the 49ers to be in the NFC title game this season and maybe even a return to the Super Bowl.
Terrelle Pryor looks pretty darn good as a NFL starting quarterback. Now if you recall Terrelle Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft back in 2011 after he was kicked out of school due to him accepting money for memorabilia. This is Pryors 3rd year in the NFL, but by all accounts he’s still learning on the job considering he didn’t play much in his first two years. Pryor showed that he’s made major improvements inn his mechanics. He rushed for 112 yards and threw for 217 yards becoming the 7th quarterback to throw for at least 200 yards and run for at least 100 during a regular season game. Although the Raiders loss due to Pryor throwing a late game interception, he was named the starter for this weeks matchup against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Look for Pryor to improve as the season rolls on.
We witnessed 9 starting black quarterbacks in the opening week of the NFL. Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III, Michael Vick, Cam Newton, Terrelle Pryor, Geno Smith, Ej Manuel, and Josh Freeman. That’s a major step for the NFL, considering that the quarterback position isn’t played by black players. It looks like something we will see more considering that the new age quarterback is a dual threat who can run and throw.
Chip Kelly’s offense looks like the real deal, and it will certainly cause problems for teams around the league. Monday night the Eagles kicked off their season against the Washingston Redskins. The Eagles offense which is led by Michael Vick and Lesean Mccoy looked electric running 53 plays all in the first half. They did whatever they wanted to and had the Redskins gassed and confused. Michael Vick looks more comfortable and having a healthy offensive line contributes to that. The are Eagles easily the fastest offense in the NFL. Eagles let up a bit in the 2nd half which sparked a Redskins comeback, but they held on to win 33-27. If Vick can stay healthy for a full year and play the way he played against the Skins he will hear his name pop in the MVP discussion.
Finally we learned that Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning haven’t missed a beat. Peterson opened up his game against the Lions with a 78 yard td run, and finished the game with 93 yards on the ground on 18 attempts and 3 touchdowns two running and one receiving. Peyton Manning torched the Super Bowl winning Baltimore Ravens for seven touchdowns. If week 1 was a sign of things to come we can expect another great NFL season.