The writing has been on the wall since April, but the Buccaneers have made it official and benched their former 2009 first round pick Josh Freeman. In favor of their 2013 third round pick Mike Glennon. It seemed like this was bound to happen sooner or later with the selection of Glennon in the 2013 draft. There’s been rumors that head coach Greg Schiano and Josh Freeman haven’t seen eye to eye and this is the move that broke the camels back. Freeman was viewed as a franchise quarterback just last year when he passed for 4,065 yards and had 27 tds. Now things have changed and he’s now a backup to a rookie quarterback. According to reports Freeman will request a trade out of Tampa Bay. Glennon had a 16-10 record in his two years starting at North Carolina State. Now he’s expected to become the starting quarterback for the 0-3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I think it wasn’t meant for Freeman to succeed this year. He had Glennon looking over his shoulder, and on top of that he had issues with the head coach Greg Schiano. It doesn’t help that Freeman has been bad in his first three games of the year passing for just 571 yards with a passing rating of 59.8. I think Schiano is trying to save his job, because he knows he’s on the hot seat in only his second year in Tampa. There’s been reports about players not buying into him as well so that makes matters worse. If I was the GM of the Jacksonville Jaguars or Minnesota Vikings I would give the Bucs a call to discuss a trade for Freeman, but that’s just me.
1. The Colts look like the real deal defeating the NFC champs San Francisco 49ers 27-7. The Colts running game looks great with the 1-2punch in Ahmad Bradshaw and Trent Richardson. Bradshaw was the star back rushing for 95yards and a TD on 19 carries. Keep in mind Trent wasn’t used much in his first game as a Colt rushing for 39 yards and a td on 13 carries. That will change as the season goes on and he understands the playbook.
2. I think it’s safe to say the Jacksonville Jaguars is the worst team in the NFL. Yes they’re worse than the Cleveland Browns. The Jaguars lost to the Seattle Seahawks 45-17. The Jaguars will certainly be in the discussion for the 2014 NFL number 1 pick.
3. The Cowboys look like a real threat to win the NFC East. They defeated the St Louis Rams 31-7 on Sunday. If Romo doesn’t have his late season collapse we’re accustomed to seeing the Cowboys may finally make the playoffs for the first time since 2009.
4. The Browns aren’t tanking on the season. After the Trent Richardson trade everyone expected the Browns to tank the rest of the season to get a high draft pick so they can draft a Franchise Quarterback. But lead by backup QB Brian Hoyer they defeated the Minnesota Vikings on the road 31-27.
5. The Bears had a statement game Sunday night. Going on the road and defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers on a national televised game 40-23 . Bears defense forced five turnovers, and the Bears offensive line is keeping Jay Cutler up and not allowing him to get sacked early on. If this good play continues lookout.
6. I know I said five things but I’m making two execptions for the Manning brothers. This is the best regular season quarterback in NFL history and one of the greatest QBs of my time. There’s no stopping him as he put on another clinic against the Oakland Raiders last night passing for 3 TDS and defeating them 37-21. Peyton now has 12 tds on the season and he doesn’t look like he has any plans to slow down. The Philadelphia Eagles have a problem on their hands this Sunday when they fly to Denver to take on the Broncos.
Manning and the New York Giants fail to 0-3 on Sunday by getting embarrassed by the Carolina Panthers 31-0. The Giants are 0-3 for the first time since 1996. The Giants have several problems one problem is not protecting Eli Manning who’s tied for 2nd in the NFL in being sacked. Giants need to get their running game and defense in order. The Giants will look for their first win this weekend against the Kansas City Chiefs.
We learned that Colin Kaepernick is the real deal. I know people were curious about how Colin would do in his first full season in the NFL as a starter and I’m sure he answered those questions leading the 49ers to a 34-28 win over the Green Bay Packers. And for those of you that said Kaepernick is a run first QB he silenced you critics too. He ran 7 times for 22yards, but he threw for 412yards on 27/39 throwing attempts with 3 tds and no INTS. Look for the 49ers to be in the NFC title game this season and maybe even a return to the Super Bowl.
Terrelle Pryor looks pretty darn good as a NFL starting quarterback. Now if you recall Terrelle Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft back in 2011 after he was kicked out of school due to him accepting money for memorabilia. This is Pryors 3rd year in the NFL, but by all accounts he’s still learning on the job considering he didn’t play much in his first two years. Pryor showed that he’s made major improvements inn his mechanics. He rushed for 112 yards and threw for 217 yards becoming the 7th quarterback to throw for at least 200 yards and run for at least 100 during a regular season game. Although the Raiders loss due to Pryor throwing a late game interception, he was named the starter for this weeks matchup against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Look for Pryor to improve as the season rolls on.
We witnessed 9 starting black quarterbacks in the opening week of the NFL. Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III, Michael Vick, Cam Newton, Terrelle Pryor, Geno Smith, Ej Manuel, and Josh Freeman. That’s a major step for the NFL, considering that the quarterback position isn’t played by black players. It looks like something we will see more considering that the new age quarterback is a dual threat who can run and throw.
Chip Kelly’s offense looks like the real deal, and it will certainly cause problems for teams around the league. Monday night the Eagles kicked off their season against the Washingston Redskins. The Eagles offense which is led by Michael Vick and Lesean Mccoy looked electric running 53 plays all in the first half. They did whatever they wanted to and had the Redskins gassed and confused. Michael Vick looks more comfortable and having a healthy offensive line contributes to that. The are Eagles easily the fastest offense in the NFL. Eagles let up a bit in the 2nd half which sparked a Redskins comeback, but they held on to win 33-27. If Vick can stay healthy for a full year and play the way he played against the Skins he will hear his name pop in the MVP discussion.
Finally we learned that Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning haven’t missed a beat. Peterson opened up his game against the Lions with a 78 yard td run, and finished the game with 93 yards on the ground on 18 attempts and 3 touchdowns two running and one receiving. Peyton Manning torched the Super Bowl winning Baltimore Ravens for seven touchdowns. If week 1 was a sign of things to come we can expect another great NFL season.
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin needs hip surgery. Reports are Percy suffered the injury in workouts in the off-season, but they say he should return by week 13 against the Saints. No word on when the injury occurred.
Seattle was expecting Harvin to be a major contributor on offense when they traded for him back in March and gave up their 2013 1st rd pick, 3rd rd pick, and a mid round pick in 2014. After the trade the Seahawks signed Percy to a six-year deal worth $67 million contract that included 14.5 in guarantee money in 2013, and a $12 million signing bonus and a $2.5 million salary.
It was a gamble for the Seahawks that they felt they needed to take considering Harvin has a history of injuries throughout his career. But there’s no denying when Harvin is on the field and healthy he’s a dangerous receiver and kick return specialist. In his four years in Minnesota Harvin averaged 1,800 total yards, and in 2012 he was on pace for 2,400 yards. Which would have led the NFL, but his season was cut short due to a ankle injury. Here’s hoping to Harvin having a speedy recovery, and a healthy successful career with the Seattle Seahawks.