Week 7 of the NFL was the week of the injuries, as Doug Martin, Jay Cutler, Nick Foles, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Sam Bradford, and Reggie Wayne just to name a few. All left their games with injuries.
1. The Jets finally beat the Patriots to end their six game losing streak against the Pats, and the Pats also saw their 12 game winning streak against the AFC East come to a end by falling 30-27. Geno Smith went 17/33 for 233yards with a td, and 1 INT. He also ran for a touchdown. It was suppose to be a losing season for the Jets where they weren’t expected to win many games, and Rex Ryan was suppose to get fired. But after seven weeks the Jets sit at 4-3. The Pats are now at 5-2 for the season. Is Geno Smith really the long term answer in New York at qb? That’s something time will tell. Although the Patriots lost, I still say they win the AFC East.
2. Break out the Panthers as they have won a season high 2 games in a row by defeating the Rams on Sunday 30-15. Cam Newton went 15/17 for 204 yards, and 1 touchdown. I’m believing in this Panthers front seven as they racked up 4 sacks against the Rams. Rams lost their QB Sam Bradford for the remainder of the year with a torn ACL. Looks like the Panthers season is going one way, and the Rams season is going in the complete opposite.
3. We had a shootout in Detroit, as the Bengals offense out lasted the Lions offense…Thanks to the Bengals kicker Mike Nugent for kicking the game winner as time expired to win 27-24….This game had two of the best receivers in the NFL in Calvin Johnson, and AJ Green. An they didn’t disappoint. Calvin Johnson went for 155 yards receiving to go along with 2 touchdowns. His most impressive touchdown was a 50 yard touchdown where he caught it in triple coverage. Yes this is a catch that you’ll only see in Madden. If you haven’t seen it, google it. AJ Green matched Calvin with 155 yards receiving, and added a touchdown of his own. The Bengals move to 5-2 on the season, as the Lions fall to 4-3.
4. The 49ers dominated the Titans by defeating them 31-17. 49ers look like they’re using Colin Kaepernick the way they used him last year, and that’s putting the ball in his hand and letting him run. Kaepernick ran for 68 yards on 11 rushes. His longest run was for 20yards which he scored a touchdown on. If the 9ers continue to use Kaepernick the way they did last year there’s going to be many defensive coordinators losing sleep on Saturday nights before facing off against Kaepernick.
5. Last but not least we have the game of the week in which the Broncos took on the Colts. Yes, the game that’s been promoted all over television for the past several weeks has finally happened. Peyton Manning lead the 6-0 Broncos back to Indy to take on Andrew Luck and the Colts. Peyton scored the first td of the game, but after that it was the Andrew Luck show. As he ran for a touchdown and threw for three more to lead the Colts to the 39-33 upset. I’ll be honest, I was cheering for the Broncos due to Jim Irsay running his mouth all week. But the Broncos had a off night, and the Colts took advantage of that. The only negative for the Colts in this game, is that they lost Reggie Wayne for the season to a torn ACL. They need to find a way to replace his production for the remainder of the season. The Colts are now 5-2 on the year. I hope these two teams meet again in the playoffs.